Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My Novel

Right now I am working on writing a novel. It’s about a family whose dad is fighting in Afghanistan. Sadly, he dies from a roadside bomb, and the family is left with nothing but their memories. The mother is having trouble moving on with her life, and the little sister (Lily or Daisy) is falling apart. Can the main character (thinking about maybe calling her Sophie, Sophia, or Ashley) put her family back together?


I've spent a lot of time thinking about my main character and I have decided a few things about her. First of all, she loves to write, just like her dad did. She loves poetry, and likes to write it too. When he dies, she writes poems and stories for him. She is in Grade 8, and is 13. Her little sister is very delicate and fragile. Whenever I think of her, I think of Prim, from The Hunger Games, because they have a very similar attitude. Remember, these thoughts of mine are not final, so if you have any suggestions, feel free to just post them in a comment.


To do some further research on good ways to write novels, I interviewed a lady named Mrs. Mills, who is a published author. If the name sounds familiar to you, it's because she is a parent of two kids that go or went to this school. One, Elspeth Mills, has graduated and, is now in university, and the other one, Tristan Mills, is in grade 8. I learned a lot of things about the process of writing a novel from Mrs. Mills. Stay tuned for my next blog to learn about our talk!

3 comments:

  1. All the hiccups involved in getting this post published were worth it! You have introduced the idea of your novel in a way that makes me very anxious to read it! Your description of how you see your main characters little sister is effective - I can picture her now too.

    I'm excited that you're taking your blog in this direction. Feel free to post whenever you like. There is no need to wait for me to assign a post. You can choose which ones you want me to assess if you post more than once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just in case you want to watch all the videos for research here's the link for the Behind the Veil series we started in class: http://interactivenarratives.org/detail/?site_id=5219

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jenny,
    your writing is thought-provoking and is lovely to read. I think that you should call your main charater Sophie. Sophie is a name that speaks out as 'strong and powerful'. In my story, I searched a word for 'strong' in arabic and put that in for one of the characters. Maybe you could try something like that.
    I hope that your novel goes well and you write many other stories. I think your novel will be excellent.

    ReplyDelete