Tuesday, November 3, 2009

In a Burka

Invisible. Trying to be invisible. Walking through the street, covered from head to toe with her burqa, trying not to make any noise. She is hot and can hardly breathe through the suffocating cloth wrapped around her face. Her feet are bleeding, and are covered with blisters. Her sandals are too small, and are cutting into her every step. She knows she's supposed to have a man with her, but her husband was killed in a bombing about a month ago, and she desperately needs food.

If I ever had to wear a burqa like the women in Afghanistan and live under the terrible and punishing laws that they have had to, I would definitely want to move, to escape. I would never be able to cope with not being allowed to walk around outside, in my own community, without being with a man, and wearing a burqa. I love to run, be active and independent, and just breathe in the fresh clean air. I love to spend time outside, enjoying nature. If I were in Afghanistan, I wouldn't even be able to walk into a store and buy something. I would always have to live under the rules of the Taliban, and would never be independent. I wouldn't even be allowed to go to school! Right now, the women in Afghanistan have no future. They have no right to an education or a job. I really admire the women that have fought against the Taliban and organized education for their daughters, stood up to the Taliban in the street, and worked together to have their future be a free one. They are so brave.

Having to wear a burqa would really change my life. It is very easy for those of us living in Canada to take our freedoms for granted. We have never had to live without them, but reading The Breadwinner has given me a chance to feel what it could be like. It has made me realize how very lucky I am to live in a free and democratic country. I will fight to keep Canada this way and I hope all of you will too.

1 comment:

  1. I loved how you described exactly how that lady felt and how you would have felt. You used the S.P.I.T in your story which made it easy to understand, and your introduction was descriptive. One of the most important parts was that it created so much empathy in any reader.

    It seems like you did a lot of research on how women suffer in Afganistan. It seems almost like you work for womens rights researchers! Its nice to know that a lot of people feel the same about wearing a burqa. That hot, painful feeling that makes you want to scream and rip it apart, or hurt the Taliban. Your story really showed the feelings beneath the story. The feelings that only a person who cared about this problem would know. You explain that women have no future, no schools, no jobs, no food. There is no way that anything could treat men any better than you could treat women. I liked that you explained so much about that.

    Lastly, Im glad that you understand, and make others understand that we, and everybody else in Canada and other wealthy countries shouldnt ever say that we are living terribly and starving and hot and painful. None of that is true. When you want the salad on the side of your plate next time, just remember people with no plates, let alone food. Ecspecially women in Afganistan. Everything I wrote now has just explained all of what you said, and that was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete