Tuesday, October 6, 2009

LA Assignment: Does Clothing Shape Who I Am?

Does clothing shape who I am?

I'm walking down the hall, trying to pull together some dignity. People snicker and whisper loudly. Not loud enough so a teacher can hear them, but loud enough. I try not to be bugged by it, but it is starting to get to me. I feel like there's a big bubble inside me, just waiting to explode. I close my eyes and count to ten, imagining that I'm wearing something different, not much, just maybe some nice neat jeans, and a T-shirt that's not stained and wrinkled. But no. When I open my eyes, I'm still in my homemade, ripped, and stained overalls.

I think that clothing does shape what people think of you, but it shouldn't. If you went to a job interview, and you were wearing ripped jeans and an inappropriate saying on your shirt, people are going to judge you differently than if you're wearing dress pants and a nice sweater. They're going to see the person with the ripped jeans and think, "Wow, he looks dangerous," or "What a slob. I wouldn't trust him with my money. Let's not hire him!" even if he was a great guy, who would work really hard, and was someone that you could really depend on. This is because people's first impressions count for a lot, and are often based on what they see.

I also think that clothing shapes how you feel at the moment when you are wearing it. When you are wearing a fashionable new dress versus a pair of old and stained overalls, you are bound to feel different. When you are wearing the dress, you're going to feel confident and happy. When you are wearing the overalls and they aren't what you want to be wearing, you are going to feel ashamed and embarrassed. You'll stand out, but not in a good way. People will make fun of you, and make you feel like you're worthless, like you're not as good as them. This is especially true among pre-teens and teens.

In summary, I think that clothing can shape what people think of you, especially among teenagers or if you are in a job interview. It doesn't actually change who you are inside on a permanent basis, but it can change your mood and the perception that others might have of you when they first meet you. My clothes can help me feel more confident and happy, but the best way to accomplish this is to be true to myself and believe in myself.



2 comments:

  1. Wow that was amazing! And I completely agree with you; when I wear clothes I don't like, I feel like I stand out and I don't feel right. People also judge on what people wear without knowing their reason for wearing it. Anyway great blog post, and it's cool that I saw this a minute or so after you uploaded it. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you wrote:
    "When you are wearing a fashionable new dress, you're going to feel confident and happy. When you are wearing the overalls and they aren't what you want to be wearing, you are going to feel ashamed and embarrassed."

    That isn't always true like you made out. Maybe not all people care so much about what other people think of their clothes like you said people do. Some people feel comfortable in what they wear and don't care if people snicker at them. Some people are shallow and care but not ALL people like you said.
    that's all!
    :)

    ReplyDelete